My dear friends
I bet that most of you were thinking when changing diapers of your baby, when washing his clothes, when eating different meals how your behavior is affecting the environment.
I have to confess that I am thinking all the time and that’s why I would like to share with you few suggestions how to behave more environmentally friendly towards the nature when performing daily activities. Because how we behave now will effect our kids and if we want them to enjoy our planet as much as we do now we should think in future generations. Which legacy we will pass to them?
What we used to do with my husband:
- Regarding to changing diapers………..I know that every baby is able to spend about 12 dippers per day, which makes about an 84 diapers per week etc. So what we applied to safe their expenditure is that we put a handkerchief into the diaper so especially when the baby is little and only suffer from gases and make small poo you do not have to change the whole diaper. What is important you can use this method only when you know that you are able to change the dipper immediately to prevent any rush.
- There also exist fabric ecological diapers, which are washable, only thing is their price and in the end also the care which you have to invest in their washing and drying. At the end I do not see much saving result but there remain the main ecological one. There is no more waist like in case of paper dippers. In my home country you can have a look on the web page of E-shop Brana k detem which offers the most widest assortment of ecological things for kids (BIO clothes, cosmetics, toys etc.)
- If you are planning how much clothes do you have to buy for your darling, then consider that your baby will not get much dirty but you can spend most of the clothes by lack of your skills…………especially mums who has sons can expect that their darlings will pee over themselves every time you open the diaper. So you are either fast or you will need to change not only diaper but also clothes. So I would recommend you to have about 10-15 peaces of clothes to change in order if not washing every day. For environmental approach washing you can have a look for Ulrich company which is producing ecological products for cleaning and washing. Another good page for those who are interested as I do in this topic I can recommend Eco washing page (only in Czech but you can use Google translator :)).
- A dirt made by your darling can be washed easily without any previous pre-washing if you put immediately the dirty clothes into a bin with cold water and let it rest there till you have time to wash his clothes. In my case it stayed there nearly the whole day, I accumulate peace by peace within 1 or 2 days and then I do the washing. The “dirty business” is soft after the water bath so it is cleaned easily in the washing machine later.
- If you have just few peaces of clothes then do not use washing machine every day……………I prefer hand-washing, it is faster, cheaper and environmentally friendlier.
- FOOD is chapter by itself but in short I would say that the best diet for mum and baby is the home grown veggies and fruits, of course I know that not everybody has this opportunity so that’s why especially for families living in the city is great to find shops where is available home farmed food or at least natural shops or shops which offer Bio food which is certified and proofed to be chemical less. Because everything what we will eat will affect our babies when nursing. In this case there is a new book I have seen and got inspired Bio&Kid (Bio&Dite) which is offering guidance to healthy dietary habits. And I saw that our home market started to be more and more focused on the environmentally friendly planting and production of BIO food. One good example is a pure Czech company GOLDIM s.r.o. which provides food in Bio quality for babies.
I would like to share with you also some interesting adds, news and videos which I found regarding to ecological life style and environmentaly friendly thinking:
- I kept searching for some nice and educative adds and I found this video how to “Raising an eco-friendly family” you can find in this video few tips from mom and author Helen Coronato about raising your kids in an eco-friendly environment.
- There are plenty of stuff regarding to this topic, what I would love to share. Here is also another video which talks about “THE STORY OF THE STUFF” with Annie Leonard, the expert in international sustainability and environmental issues, in general and how we cope and behave towards the nature. This video makes me think in general how to do things differently regarding to the nature.
- You can also count your eco foot print – the metric that allows us to calculate human pressure on the planet and come up with facts, such as: If everyone lived the lifestyle of the average American we would need five planets.
Leave a Reply