Selection of the institution for Edie,
sound like easy task, but it is not actually, and WHY? Because we as parents are considering the fact, that the old school system is rigid, old, non functioning and does not give the expected value to our kids.
So while I am now searching for the school I found certain topics which are important to consider?
- How many kids will be in the class – will be there space for individualities of every child? Or it is just “mass production of schooled sheeps”?
- How openminded are teachers towards the parents – is there open communication really possible
- Which system of control do they use – only power and marks (1-5), which does not tell me anything about skills and knowledge of my child or they do their “homework” and write to the improvements and assessments on the paper as the overall evaluation?
- Is there present “šikana”? Bulling? – or ever appeared
- Which kind of free time activities are available and organized by the schools?
- How the institution looks on the home schooling and unschooling of your kids
- Do they have special plan for smart and bilingual kids?
- Which values do the teachers and whole institution believes and take care?
Those are just couple of things I was having in my head and heard while choosing the “best” for my son. Let”s see what Edie will say while entering the new era in his life.
Dears I will inform you about this topic.
So far I wisited seminar of home schooled kids. I went for open day to Strosmayerova school with Waldorf approach. And exploraty mission continues 🙂
Leave a Reply